Ingredients You Want to Avoid in CosmeticsOctober 5, 2020
When you are putting something on your face every day, you want to be careful as the various chemicals from products can directly affect your health. Our skin is the largest organ in our body, with a surface area of nearly two square meters on an average adult. While per use exposure may be small, the ingredients in many personal care products can build up in our bodies, leading to a distressing variety of health issues. And, in a vicious cycle, harsh chemicals strip aways oils and moisture, making your skin more permeable and vulnerable, often leading to the use of… you guessed it, even more personal care products.
The following ingredients are singled out by many clinical studies, academic research and international associations as dangerous or potentially harmful to humans and the environment. We encourage you to search the web to understand the extent of the problems that these ingredients may pose to our collective health.
Let’s take a look at the list of the 12 ingredients to avoid:
- Endocrine disruptors disrupt our hormonal system. Related to cancer, fertility disorders, diabetes and neurodegenerative diseases, they are transmitted in addition to your baby. Here is a list of known disruptors on the list to avoid:
• Paraben (Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Propylparaben)
• BHA (Butylated Hydroxyanisole, E320)
• BHT (Butylated hydroxytoluene, 2,6-di-tert-butyl-4-methylphenol or 2,6-bis (1,1- dimethylethyl) -4-methylphenol, E321)
- Synthetic fragrances (often called phthalates, fragrance or perfume): They are a dangerous cocktail of ingredients for which we do not know exactly how they affect our body other than their allergenic and irritating effects. They can also trigger asthmatic reactions and migraines. They are also singled out as endocrine disruptors and are suspected of being carcinogenic (Breast and Testicular Cancer). They may also contain traces of several undesirable ingredients in small doses such as formaldehyde. In addition, we do not know everything that composes them, so important risk of finding ingredients simply dangerous.
- Sulfates (Sodium Laureth Sulfate, SLS): Irritant, they dry the skin. They can cause dermatitis. Often contain Dioxane, an ingredient strongly suspected of being carcinogenic.
- Propylene glycol (PG): An extremely polluting ingredient to manufacture and not biodegradable. May also contain Dioxane and other toxic ingredients. It is important not to use PG when our skin is damaged because they will cause irritation. In addition, they are very polluting and toxic to manufacture.
- Silicone: Harmful to the environment, it takes between 400 and 500 years to decompose. It is very harmful to the aquatic fauna and flora.
- Synthetic dyes: Synthetic dyes have the ability to break through the skin, damaging the liver and releasing aniline, which is considered carcinogenic and can trigger allergies.
- Nanoparticles: Very fashionable, nanoparticles can easily penetrate into our bloodstream and are difficult to eliminate. This can lead to a high risk of bioaccumulation, which is very worrisome. In addition, some nanoparticles used in cosmetics are proven carcinogens such as titanium dioxide.
- Mineral oils: Mineral oils form an occlusive film on the skin which is not good. The skin must breathe. Derived from oil, these ingredients are also very harmful to the environment.
- Dimethicone: It forms an occlusive film on the skin which is not good, as this prevents it from breathing. Derived from oil, these ingredients are also very harmful to the environment.
- Methylisoothiazolinone: a highly irritating preservative, can cause allergic reactions.
- Formaldehyde: Carcinogenic when inhaled, it is also an irritant and an allergen.
- Alcohol: Dry and irritating properties.
Finally, we also include gluten, as it is a common concern among consumers with celiac disease and other gluten-related disorders.
Our products contain none of the ingredients mentioned above. They have been certified by Ecocert which bans among other things use of particular toxic chemicals and ingredients.