10 Reasons To Go Organic
- Organic products meet stringent national standards. The “Organic Canada” label assures the public that products have been grown and handled using strict methods and guidelines.
- Reduction of chemicals! Many herbicides and insecticides commonly used in agriculture have been shown to be endocrine disruptors, carcinogens or have a negative effect on a child’s development. The choice of certified organic products is a way to reduce exposure to chemical residues. This is even more true with synthetic ingredients found in conventional cosmetics.
- Organic farms take water seriously. Organic farmers must manage their land and lives around bodies of water very carefully and are subject to annual inspections. The absence of synthetic fertilizers and persistent toxic chemicals makes organic agriculture more conducive to protecting our precious water supplies.
- Organic farmers work in harmony with nature. Organic farming contributes to the formation of healthy ecosystems and biodiversity, both on and around organic farms and more importantly for promoting sustainability and ecological balance.
- Biological methods reduce pollution and energy loss. More energy is needed to produce synthetic fertilizers from fossil fuels than to grow and harvest crops or transport food. Canadian studies show that organic farming practices can use as little as half of the energy required for other farming methods and help sequester carbon back into the soil.
- Protecting the health of farmers and children. Farmers exposed to pesticides are much more likely to suffer from cancer than non-farmers or organic farmers. Children are more exposed than adults when they ingest pesticide residues in food. The choice of organic products reduces the exposure for children and farmers.
- Organic Farmers Contribute to Healthy Soil. Soil is the very foundation of the food chain. Organic agriculture focuses on sustainable practices that promote healthy soil microbiology and prevent erosion leaving fertile soil that will feed future generations.
- Organic farming is good for rural Canada. The Census for Agriculture has shown that organic farming families, on average, are more successful in harvesting than the typical Canadian farm and on average employ more people.
- Organic producers strive to preserve genetic diversity. The loss of a wide variety of species (biodiversity) is one of the most important concerns of our time. Fortunately, for decades, many organic farmers have been collecting and preserving seeds and cultivating heritage varieties and breeding rare livestock breeds.
- Organic is the only standard for non-genetically modified products enforced by the Government of Canada. Organic standards prohibit the use of GMOs in seeds, feed and feed ingredients as well as processed organic products. If you are concerned about GMOs, think before you eat: think Organic Canada!
The ECOCERT®, COSMÉBIO and COSMOS standards that we follow in body care and cosmetics at Druide® Laboratories go even further than in agriculture, since all transformation processes are evaluated, as well as, all added ingredients, such as natural preservatives or natural stabilizers. No petroleum products are allowed and there is no testing on animals for ingredients or finished products. Two annual audits are done on-site and with all our suppliers for ingredients and packaging.